Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Erin Wasson Lowluv

I'm not an Erin Wasson fan. I don't dislike her style or her look but I just don't find her all that fascinating. I think she's become so big because she's relevant to middle-America twenty somethings. She's a supermodel but also a total hipster - the type of style that isn't so much unique as it is loved. You know it....the effortless chic that actually takes some thought to plan? Lots of vintage x metal x denim - a mash of surfer grunge granny etc etc? Yeah, that one.

I just stopped by Revolve Clothing's sister site ForwardForward.com and discovered a beautiful Egyptian Hieroglyphic ring in the corner of the main page. Much to my surprise, I realized it was Erin Wasson's Low Luv line. The pieces are beautiful and the prices very affordable ($50-200)

A quick search of articles on this line indicated that prior to release, the prices were expected in the $1000+ range which seems a little ridiculous considering it's not precious metals and gems. It's also reported that Evan Yurman (David Yurman jewelry) helped source the materials. I'm not surprised as again, I think Wasson is a better spokesmodel than trailblazer.

Unfortunately, this article left a sour taste in my mouth. Allegedly the help was not only from Evan Yurman, but Bliss Lau...unwittingly. It's speculated that Erin got the line started during Alexander Wang's show, either recasting Bliss Lau's actual body chains or copying them

Without cold hard facts, I'm unwilling to say one way or the other but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. However, I believe Darwinism rules in the fashion world. Replication is an indication of success and to keep that success, a designer needs to stay one step ahead, designing new pieces, creating new hype.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...