Thursday, March 14, 2013

Kitchen Progress - A Somewhat Final Reveal (For Now)

At the end of January, I posted that I was working on our kitchen and gave a sneak peak. Well, there's still plenty of to-do's let to do, but I'm too impatient to wait until I'm 100% done to show you how it looks. And really, as a DIY and home improvement enthusiast, is any space every completely DONE?

Here's what the kitchen looked like last fall. Oak cabinets and builder grade beige paint. Bland is the name of the game here.

And here's what it looks like today!

What was done:
-A pair of chandeliers for the kitchen and breakfast area
-White subway tile backsplash with gray grout
-Painted kitchen cabinets in Rustoleum's Winter Fog
-Stainless steel cup pulls on the drawers

And that's it! All done for under $300 and that's including buying a couple tools and renting a wet tile saw. I'll admit, it did involve using a couple gift certificates received for Christmas and buying a couple things across the border where some things are significantly cheaper.

What's still to be done:
-Seal the grout with grout sealer
-Install over-the-range microwave or if I can't find one small enough, run the subway tiles up to the rangehood
-Roman blind for the window over the sink
-Accent rug

Once those things are done, I'd like to paint the walls a bright white before moving on to the other side of the room, which is the breakfast area. I'll post more about my plans for that very compact space soon.

5 comments:

  1. LOVING this! Seriously, your kitchen looks gorgeous -- what a huge improvement over the original! I love the contrast between the elegance of the chandeliers and the industrial style of the subway tiles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I LOVE this! I came upong your pics because you are the ONLY person I have found online to do the Winter Gray without the stain (which I didn't like that look AT ALL!) and I am trying to decide if I should do it. You convinced me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im redoing my kitchen in winter fog. Im wondering if you used the glaze?

    ReplyDelete
  4. QUESTION: Wow, Your Kitchen update looks amazing!!! I'm planning to transform my cabinets and wondering if you can describe the winter fog color? Is it straight grey, or does it have a green, blue or mauve hue to it at all? I want to do winter fog, but the itty bitty swatch at Menards, looks like it has a blue/green tint to it. Thank you! Also, did you use the glaze or not? I'm guessing not.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...