Saturday, May 28, 2011

Secrets of Style



It's been a while since I've purchased a fashion-related book. Heck, it's been a while since I've ready anything that romances with really embarrassing covers (to my husband's dismay!). Mindless reading is so relaxing, especially to end off a stressful fast-paced work day.

Anyway, I found this book for $10 and having seen it at the bookstore for a lot more, I decided to pick it up. This is not the book for you if you have a strong idea of personal style (here's talking to you, fashion bloggers!). The outfits are chic but reminiscent of What-Not-To-Wear type of style - acceptable anywhere and not prone to double-takes on the street. But this is the perfect type of reference book for someone like me, who usually buys a piece because it caught my eye without thinking how it will incorporate into my existing wardrobe or work on my shape.

There are so many helpful references in here. The book goes into detail over what they consider wardrobe essentials such as the Belted Trench and the Bootcut Jeans. There are pages that show you how to put the items discussed together, in one cohesive outfit. There are also 'primer' pages that give you a basic rundown of a type of clothing or accessory (like jewelry, pictured below).

What I found most helpful were the charts that focused on one item (skirts, for example) and what to look for/avoid depending on your body type. The chart also provides additional tips when shopping for a particular piece.










There are very few books I would buy at regular price these days and this one is no exception. Realistically, I probably wouldn't sit down for a few hours to read this reference book. I'm too stubborn and will most likely continue to buy what catches my eye, results be damned. But if you can find this book at a discount, I do recommend purchasing it. It is a helpful reference to flip through from time to time when you're in a fashion rut.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...